Welcome to my tiny portion of the world. Reading through this will give you some insight to my life and what happiness really is to me.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Post-Treatment Blues

So here I am. Just over a week post-treatment. I am starting to feel better but still have some residual side effects such as depression, fatigue and anxiety.

After going through this treatment (Interferon - IV for 4 weeks straight at 36 million units) at the cancer clinic, then self injections for 11 months (only 3 times a week) at home, I (in a very twisted way) feel like it had really become a part of my life. And though I'm so enthusiastic about it being done and over with, there is a small (EXTREMELY small) part of me that feels like I just lost part of myself.

Believe me, I do NOT want to feel this way. But it really just became so routine. Its like it gave me an excuse to have a crappy day and ask for help and now that I'm done, I'm supposed to feel better and feel like myself again and resume myself totally 100% now that I am not doing these shots.

After going through this treatment, I've learned that it has only improved my survival rate by 15% and has increased my chances of complete remission by only 5%. A huge part of me feels like the last year has been a waste. I know that 15% and 5% is better than 0% - so I should just get those numbers out of my head. Because that is just what they are - numbers. There is nothing I can do about the choice I made to do the treatments. All I can do is move on with my life and look at it as a life lesson that really has taught me a lot over the year.

I know my attitude has changed drastically over the course of this blog. But it really isn't that my outlook has changed, its that I am now being honest with myself.

NO! I won't be happy and positive and perky 100% of the time. I started this blog to share my journey and in doing so I just have to admit that I am human. I feel stressed and scared. I feel worried and anxious. But there is one thing that won't change - I am not scared of death. If the cancer eats away at my body, if it comes back and makes me even more sick, I know that life will carry on and though my family would miss me, they would eventually accept it. I'm not saying in the slightest that I WANT to die. I'm just saying that I know its a reality and I am willing to face that.

In the mean time, I will TRY to be happy, positive and perky. I will try to live life the way I want. I will enjoy my kids, my husband, my friends and the rest of my family with the same attitude I always have. Now that treatment is over with it will likely be a lot easier.

In other news, I am back to work at the end of the month. Its a job that I don't really want at a call center for Rogers (ya... I hate those people too and now I am going to be one of them LOL). But I think it will be a nice change for me. I really am looking forward to getting out of the house and meeting new people and getting back to a regular schedule. I know that a job is what you make of it, so I am going to start prepping myself and make myself feel like this IS the job I want and it can lead me to something greater.

Also, I had my jury duty date changed, so now I will be going in next Monday and it should be an interesting day. I hear the selection is a long and boring process and I should bring some books. I went to the library and checked out "Buddha Mom: The Path of Mindful Mothering" by Jacqueline Kramer. I have no idea if its any good so I will start reading it this week. It looks interesting though.

Anywho, off to feed the kiddos and maybe go play in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment